Resources for parents
Bicycle, scooter and skateboard safety
Personal Mobility Device (including e-scooter, e-skateboard) safety
Rules apply to children when using a Personal Mobility Device (including e-scooters, e-skateboards, solowheels and segways). These include:
- Age limits – PMDs must not be used by children 11 years and under. They are designed for riders at least 16 years of age, or 12-15 years, with adult supervision.
- Ride solo – passengers are not allowed on PMDs as they are built for only one person at a time. It’s against the law to carry another person, no matter how small, including children. This includes parents not riding with children on the same device.
- Helmets – must be worn and fastened (fines apply).
- Speed limits – maximum 25 km/h, but only when it’s safe. 12km/h on footpaths from 1 November 2022.
- Share the path safely – always give way to pedestrians
School safety travel info
- Walking, carpooling, public transport and cycling safety tips are all covered on the school safety travel page on TMR’s website.
- Tips for teaching your child to cross the road safely are on this fact sheet.
- School zones, parking and pick-up safety tips can be found here.
- Information on TMR’s Community Road Safety Grants, which can help community groups and schools with local road safety projects is here.
- Safe school travel (SafeST) program and resources provided by the Department of Transport and Main Roads information is here.